Thursday, June 28, 2007

What Do We Call Our Elected Officials?

As you probably remember, my last Post was atypical of my usual. In a different manner – different in terms of my posting anyway – that Post, “A Crusty Old Biker’s Evaluation of the Leadership of the United States,” directly and indirectly addresses some rather controversial issues. And if you haven’t read the Comments to it, please do – you’ll see what I mean.

As I began to put together a Post for today, nonetheless, I was thinking about a critical consideration in any successful, meaningful, loving, long-term romantic adult loving relationship. However, I decided to hold it for next time… I’m still very intrigued about so many aspects of public leadership. To wit, I found myself thinking about how people refer to elected officials. I also revisited some of my recollections of how Carl Hiaasen writes about current and former bogus public officials in his novels (and if you’re a Hiaasen fan, you know what I mean – he’s a Hoot, no pun intended). I also thought about something my Dad said to me about elected officials many years ago.

In my latest pop-psych book, Mom and Dad’s Pearls of Wisdom… You Gotta Love ’Em, one of the chapters, entitled “Elected Officials,” tells an interesting story ending with a pearl of wisdom for which I thank my Dad. I herewith want to share it with you:

**************************

Elected Officials

One Saturday evening in the fall of 1960, I was shooting darts at my father’s VFW post with my dad and a few of his friends. When the conversation turned to the upcoming presidential election, I began telling everyone why I thought John F. Kennedy was the best candidate. Some in the group agreed with me, and some disagreed.

In between games, when most of the players were either ordering more beer or getting rid of it, I went over to my father and whispered, “How can Mr. Arnold say Kennedy’s just another politician?”

“He just doesn’t like Kennedy,” my father flatly replied.

“But, Dad, John Kennedy is such a great leader, a brilliant thinker, and a—”

“Bill,” my father interrupted, “when it comes to what people say about a candidate in any election,

If you agree with him, he’s a statesman;

if you disagree with him, he’s a politician.

**************************

Question: How do you refer to elected officials?

Bill

No comments: