Friday, December 15, 2006

Some of Life’s Pearls of Wisdom Can Also be Funny

Admittedly, I am one of those drivers who enjoys reading bumper stickers – especially the ones with slogans, inspirational quotes and pearls of wisdom that give one pause to think. While I tend to despise bumper sticker solutions to complex problems, many bumper stickers include poignant pearls of wisdom that at least remind us of the issues and stimulate critical thinking. They also can bring some levity and a smile to the dreariness and humdrum of a congested roadway.

I recently have enjoyed some pearls of wisdom that made me laugh. For example, on Lucid Café (lucidcafe.com) I found: Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and a sleeping pill on the same night. On Robin’s Web (robinsweb.com), I found: If I knew grandchildren were so great, I'd have had them first. And the site, Pearls of Wisdom and Inspiration (1000ventures.com), included a Woody Allen quote, I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it through not dying.

In one of my new books, Mom and Dad’s Pearls of Wisdom… You Gotta Love ‘Em (amazon.com), there are 50 featured pearls of wisdom, of which numerous are humorous. For example, in one vignette I tell about the time I had asked my Dad what it was like for him after he bought the business he had been running. He dryly replied,
When you run a business, it’s like having six balls in the air,
but when it’s your business two of them are your own.

If you have any humorous pearls of wisdom from your mom or dad, please share them.

Thanks, Bill

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny one about the laxatives and sleeping pills. I'll have to remember that one.

Dr. Bill Emener said...

Hey there Macanole,
Oh yeah, that could get messy...
Bill

Anonymous said...

A Pearl of Wisdom quote from my dad who is a chef is,

" Always have Parsley on hand. Not only does it make a great garnish, it hides the smell of alcohol from your boss when eaten".

This quote was followed by roars of laughter from my chef uncles. Chefs are known to be crazy . But at least they put the FUN in dysfunction !

Dr. Bill Emener said...

Hi Chef's Daughter...
Thanks for the Comment. I don't know if chefs are crazy or not, but from what I see their daughters have a healthy sense of humor.
Bon Appétit,
Bill